Sunday, March 25, 2012

TEA AND WOOL CLIPPERS

                                 TEA AND WOOL CLIPPERS
 copyright R.J.Warren 2011-2012

                                                                                                  A

 ‘ADA’ Built 1865. Wood ship of 687 Tons. Length; 182 ft. Breadth; 30 ft. Depth; 18 ft. Built by Hall of Aberdeen for J.Wade. [Tea Clipper] 


‘AMBASSADOR’ Built 1869. Composite ship of 692 Tons. Length; 176 ft. Breadth; 31.3 ft. Depth; 18.9 ft. Built by Walker at London. Owned by W.Lund. Master; Captain Duggan. [Tea Clipper] 

                                                                          B

‘BALLARAT’ Built 1852. Wood ship of 657 Tons. Length; 141.9 ft. Breadth; 27.4 ft. Depth; 20.0 ft. Built at Aberdeen. Owned by Duncan Dunbar in 1863. Reg; London. Master; Captain H.Jones. London-China service. 


‘BELTED WILL’ Built 1863. Clipper ship of 812 Tons. Length; 186.4 ft. Breadth; 32.4 ft. Depth; 20.8 ft. Built by Feel at Workington for Bushby. Master; Captain Braithwaite. [Tea Clipper]


‘BURDWAN’ Built 1862. Clipper Ship of 803 Tons. Length; 185.7 ft. Breadth; 32.1 ft. Depth; 20.8 ft. Built by Brocklebank for T & J Brocklebank. Master; Captain Douglas. [Tea Clipper]

                                                                         C

‘CALIPH’ Built 1869 Wood ship of 914 Tons. Length; 215.1 ft. Breadth; 36.1 ft. Depth; 36.1 ft. Depth; 20.4 ft. Built by Hall of Aberdeen for Hector. Master; Captain Ritson.



‘CARRICK CASTLE’ Built 1868. Wood ship of 879 Tons. Length; 197.5 ft. Breadth; 34 ft. Depth; 19.6 ft. Built by Elder of Glasgow for Skinner. Master; Captain Peters. 



‘CHALLENGER’ Built 1852. Wood ship of 699 Tons. Length; 174 ft. Breadth;32 ft. Depth; 20 ft. Built by Hall of Aberdeen for Taylor and Potter. Master; Captain Killick.



‘CHINAMAN’ Built 1865. Wood ship of 668 Tons. Length; 171 ft. Breadth; 31.1 ft. Depth; 19.1 ft. Built by Steele for the Park Brothers. Master; Captain Downie.



‘COULNAKYLE’ Built 1862. Wood ship of 579 Tons. Length; 168 ft. Breadth; 30.5 ft. Depth; 18.8 ft. Built by Hall at Aberdeen for Jamieson. Master; Captain Morrison.



‘CREST OF THE WAVE’ Built 1853. Wood ship of 924 Tons. Length; 184 ft. Breadth; 32.3 ft. Depth; 20.1 ft. Built by Pile of Sunderland for Brice and Co. Master; Captain Steele.

                                                                             D

‘DILKHOOSH’ Built 1864. Wood ship of 816 Tons. Length; 167.2 ft. Breadth; 32.4 ft. Depth; 21.2 ft. Built by Major for Fleming and Co. Master; Captain Gedge.


‘DILPUSSUND’ Built 1864. Wood ship of 624 Tons. Length; 180 ft. Breadth; 29 ft. Depth; 18 ft. Built by Langley and Co for Fleming and Co. Master; Captain Fleming.



‘DOUNE CASTLE’ Built 1869. Wood ship of 887 Tons. Length; 197.1 ft. Breadth; 34 ft. Depth; 18.8 ft. Built by Elder of Glasgow for Skinner. Master; Captain Erskine.



‘DOUGLAS CASTLE’ Built 1864. Wood ship of 678 Tons. Length; 176.6 ft. Breadth; 30.6 ft. Depth; 18.7 ft. Built by Connell of Glasgow for Skinner and Co. Master; Captain McKitchie. 

                                                                                E

‘ELIZABETH NICHOLSON’ Built 1863. Wood ship of 904 Tons. Length; 192.5 ft. Breadth; 32.5 ft. Depth; 22.2 ft. Built by Nicholson for themselves. Master; Captain Grierson.


‘ELIZA SHAW’ Built 1863. Wood ship of 696 Tons. Length; 184.5 ft. Breadth; 30.6 ft. Depth; 18.3 ft. Built by Stephen of Glasgow for Shaw, Maxton and Co. Master; Captain Steele



‘ELLEN ROGER’ Built 1858. Wood ship of 585 Tons. Length; 155.8 ft. Breadth; 29.4 ft. Depth; 19.5 ft. Built by Steele at Greenock for Roger and Co. Master; Captain Keay.


‘EME’ Built 1869. Wood ship of 774 Tons. Length; 199.7 ft. Breadth; 32.6 ft. Depth; 19 ft. Built by Connell of Glasgow for J.Wade. Master; Captain Sproule.

                                                                             F 

 ‘FIERY CROSS I’ Built 1855. Wood ship of 788 Tons. Length; 154.5 ft. Breadth; 31 ft. Depth; 19.1 ft. Built by Chaloner at Liverpool for J.Campbell. Master; Captain J.Dallas.



‘FOREWARD HO’ Built 1867. Wood ship of 943 Tons. Length; 193.7 ft. Breadth; 33.6 ft. Depth; 20.6 ft. Built by Stephen at Glasgow for Catto. Master; Captain Hossack.



‘FLYING SPUR’ Built 1860. Wood ship of 735 Tons. Length; 184 ft. Breadth; 31.4 ft. Depth; 19.4 ft. Built by Hall of Aberdeen for Jardine and Co. Master; Captain Ryrie.



‘FRIAR TUCK’ Built 1857. Wood ship of 662 Tons. Length; 193.2 ft. Breadth; 31 ft. Depth; 17 ft. Built by Hall at Aberdeen for Beazley and Co. Master; Captain Fordyce.



‘FUSIYAMA’ Built 1865. Wood ship of 556 Tons. Length; 165.6 ft. Breadth; 28.1 ft. Depth; 17 ft. Built by Stephen for Killick at Glasgow. Master; Captain Thompson. 



‘FYCHOW’ Built 1863. Wood ship of 710 Tons. Length; 180 ft. Breadth; 31.5 ft. Depth; 19.2 ft. Built by Hall of Aberdeen for Duncan Dunbar. Master; Captain Mathers.

                                                                          G

‘GOLDEN SPUR’ Built 1864. Wood ship of 657 Tons. Length; 177.4 ft. Breadth; 31.4 ft. Depth; 19.9 ft. Built by Ogier and Co of Norway for G.T.Harrison.



‘GOSSAMER’ Built 1864. Wood ship of 735 Tons. Length; 181.4 ft. Breadth; 30.6 ft. Depth; 18.4 ft. Built by Stephen of Glasgow for Potter and Co. Master; Captain Thompson.

                                                                           H

‘HUNTLY CASTLE’ Built 1866. Wood ship of 623 Tons. Length; 169 ft. Breadth; 29 ft. Depth; 18.2 ft. Built by Connell for Skinner. Master; Captain Stewart.

                                                                           J

‘JOHN LIDGETT’ Built 1862. Wood ship of 770 Tons. Length; 178,7 ft. Breadth; 30.1 ft. Depth; 20.4 ft. Built by Stephen of Glasgow for J. Lidgett and Co. Master; Captain Lidgett.



J. R. WORCESTER’ Built 1865. Wood ship of 844 Tons. Length; 191.5 ft. Breadth; 32.4 ft. Depth; 19.9 ft. Owned by Patton and Co.

                                                                            K

‘KAISOW’ Built 1868. Wood ship of 795 Tons. Length; 193.2 ft. Breadth; 32 ft. Depth; 20.3 ft. Built by Steele of Greenock for Killick. Master; Captain Anderson.



‘KATE CARNIE’ Built 1855. Wood ship of 576 Tons. Length; 148.4 ft. Breadth; 26 ft. Depth; 19 ft. Built by Steele of Greenock for Captain Roger. Master; Captain Roger. 



‘KELSO’ Built 1861. Wood ship of 556 Tons. Length; 150 ft. Breadth; 31.3 ft. Depth; 18.5 ft. Built by Pile of Sunderland for J.Kelso. Master; Captain Vowell.



‘KINFAUNS CASTLE’ Built 1867. Wood ship of 799 Tons. Length;; 187.6 ft. Breadth; 32.4 ft. Depth; 19.4 ft. Built by Connell of Glasgow for Skinner. Master; Captain Holmes.

                                                                             L

‘LEANDER’ Built 1867. Wood ship of 883 Tons. Length; 210 ft. Breadth; 35.2 ft. Depth; 20,8 ft. Built by Lawrie of Glasgow for Joseph Somes. Master; Captain Petherick. 


‘LENNOX CASTLE’ Built 1865. Wood ship of 693 Tons. Length; 178.6 ft. Breadth; 30.1 ft. Depth; 18.9 ft. Built by Moore for Skinner. Master; Captain Brunton.



‘LORD MACAULAY’ Built 1860.Wood ship of 846 Tons. Length; 168 ft. Breadth; 35 ft. Depth; 21.5 ft. Built by Hall of Sunderland for Brodie. Master; Captain Care.

                                                M

‘MAITLAND’ Built 1865. Iron ship of 799 Tons. Length; 183 ft. Breadth; 35 ft. Depth; 19.6 ft. Built by Pile of Sunderland for Kelso. Master; Captain Coulson. She was the only Tea clipper to carry Moonsails. They did not help her to win any of the races in which she participated.



‘MIN’ Built 1861. Wood ship of 629 Tons. Length; 174.5 ft. Breadth; 29.8 ft. Depth; 19.3 ft. Built by Steele of Greenock for Roger and Co. Master; Captain Smith.

                                                                          N

‘NORTHFLEET’ Built 1853. Wood ship of 896 Tons. Length; 180 ft. Breadth; 32.3 ft. Depth; 20.9 ft. Built by Northfleet for Duncan Dunbar. Master; Captain Freeman.

                                                                          O

‘OMBA’ Built 1868. Wood ship of 836 Tons. Length; 186.6 ft. Breadth; 31.8 ft. Depth; 19.5 ft. Built by Stephen of Glasgow for Killick. Master; Captain Thompson. 



‘OSAKA’ Built 1869. Wood ship of 527 Tons. Length; 165 ft. Breadth; 30.1 ft. Depth; 17.2 ft. Built by Pile of Sunderland for Killick. Master; Captain Lowe. 

                                                                          R  

‘RACEHORSE’ Built 1853. Wood ship of 1077 Tons. Length; 209.3 ft. Breadth; 36.1 ft. Depth; 20.0 ft. Built at Jersey Island for Oswald and Co. Reg Sunderland. Master; Captain Peacock.  [Iioyds reads "into Matilda Wattenbach"]  



‘RED DEER’ Built 1863. Wood ship of 775 Tons. Length; 160 ft. Breadth; 32.5 ft. Depth; 19.7 ft. Built by Barr for Adamson. Master; Captain Mills.


‘ROBIN HOOD’ Built 1856. Wood ship of 852 Tons. Length; 204 ft. Breadth; 35.1 ft. Depth; 21 ft. Built by Hall of Aberdeen for Beazley and Co. Master; Captain Cobb.

                                                                           S

‘SILVER EAGLE’ Built 1861. Wood ship of 903 Tons. Length; 185.2 ft. Breadth; 34.5 ft. Depth; 20.8 ft. Built by the Portland Ship Company for Joseph Somes. Master; Captain Case.



‘SIR W. WALLACE’ Built 1866. Wood ship of 967 Tons. Length; 195.6 ft. Breadth; 34.5 ft. Depth; 21.1 ft. Built by Duthie for Tulloch. Master; Captain Taylor.



‘ST ANDREWS CASTLE’ Built 1864. Wood ship of 639 Tons. Length; 168.8 ft. Breadth; 30.3 ft. Depth; 18.4 ft. Built by Connell of Glasgow for Skinner. Master; Captain McBain




‘STAR OF CHINA’ Built 1862. Wood ship of 794 Tons. Length; 183 ft. Breadth; 32 ft. Depth; 20.2 ft. Built by Hall at Aberdeen for Adamson. Master; Captain Hodge. 



‘STORNOWAY’ Built 1850. Wood ship of 506 Tons. Length; 157.8 ft. Breadth; 28.8 ft. Depth; 17.8 ft. Built by Hall of Aberdeen. Bought by Jardine, Matherson and Co from the builders. She was one of the original British tea clippers and was one of the first built for that trade by the British. She had many races in the tea trade and her chief rival was the clipper ‘Chrysolite’.

                                                                           T

‘TAITSING’Built 1865. Tea clipper of 815 Tons. Length; 192 ft. Breadth; 31.5 ft. Depth; 20.1 ft. Built by Connell for Findlay. Master; Captain Nutsford.

                                                                           U

‘UNDINE’ Built 1867. Wood ship of 796 Tons. Length; 182.6 ft. Breadth; 35.1 ft. Depth; 19.5 ft. Built by Pile of Sunderland for J.Kelso. Master; Captain Scott.

                                                                           V

 ‘VIRGIL’ Built 1862. Wood ship of 550 Tons. Length; 163.9 ft. Breadth; 27.2 ft. Depth; 18 ft. Built by Vernon for Potter and Co. Master; Captain Thompson.


                                                                           W

‘WEMYSS CASTLE’ Built 1866. Wood ship of 700 Tons. Length; 183 ft. Breadth; 31 ft. Depth; 17.9 ft. Built by Connell for Skinner. Master; Captain Nicol.



‘WHITE ADDER’ Built 1862. Wood ship of 915 Tons. Length; 191.4 ft. Breadth; 34 ft. Depth; 20.7 ft. Built by Bilbe of London for J.Willis. Master; Captain Moore.



‘WINDHOVER’ Built 1868. Wood ship of 847 Tons. Length; 201.1 ft. Breadth; 34 ft. Depth; 19.8 ft. Built by Connell at Glasgow for Findlay. Master; Captain Nutsford. 



‘WHINFELL’ Built 1861. Wood ship of 834 Tons. Length; 190.2 ft. Breadth; 32.6 ft. Depth; 22.6 ft. Built by Lamport for Lamport and Co. Master; Captain Jones.



‘WYLO’ Built 1869. Wood ship of 799 Tons. Length; 189.9 ft. Breadth; 32.1 ft. Depth; 20.2 ft. Built by Steele of Greenock for Killick. Master; Captain Brown.

                                                                          Y

‘YANGTZE’ Built 1863. Tea clipper of 688 Tons. Length; 179.5 ft. Breadth; 31 ft. Depth; 18.3 ft. Built by Hall of Aberdeen for Lewin. Master; Captain Kemball

                                                                          Z

‘ZIBA’ Built 1858. Wood ship of 497 Tons. Length; 169 ft. Breadth; 28.5 ft. Depth; 17 ft. Built by Hall of Aberdeen for J.Wade and Co. Master; Captain Tomlinson 

                                            WOOL CLIPPERS
  
Because most wool clipper ships were used as passenger vessels on the outward-bound voyage, the ships listed here are a few that were a little less famous than those listed in the main register. 

                                                                      C

‘CHARLOTTE PADBURY’ Built 1874.Wood barque of 640 Tons. Built at Falmouth for W. Padbury of Fremantle, Western Australia. She was later sold to the Norwegians under whom she was wrecked in April 1903. 

                                                                      D

‘DORETTE’ Built 1868. Wood ship of 848 Tons. Length; 194.3 ft. Breadth; 31.7 ft. Depth; 19 ft. She was sold to the New Zealand Shipping Company and renamed ‘Waimea’ in 1873. They sold her to the Norwegians in her old age and she was wrecked on the coast of South Africa in 1902.

                                                                      H

‘HUDSON’ Built 1869.Iron barque of 795 Tons. Sold to the Norwegians before the First World War.



‘HURUNUI’ Built 1875.Iron ship of 1012 Tons. Length; 204.1 ft. Breadth; 34.2 ft. Depth; 20 ft. Built by Palmers Company of Newcastle, England. Judging by her name, she had New Zealand in her travel log. She was later sold to the Finns and renamed ‘Hermes’ in her old age. 

                                                                        L

‘LOCH LOMOND’ Built 1870. Iron ship of 1200 Tons. Length; 226.3 ft. Breadth; 35.8 ft. Depth; 21.5 ft. Built by Lowrie of Glasgow for the Glasgow Shipping Company. Master; Captain J.Strachan



‘LOCH MAREE’ Built 1873. Iron ship of 1581 Tons. Length; 255.8 ft. Breadth; 38.6 ft. Depth; 22.9 ft. Built by Barclay Curle at Glasgow for the Glasgow Shipping Company. Master; Captain A.Scott.



‘LOCH MOIDART’ Built 1881. Iron ship of 2000 Tons. Length; 287.4 ft. Breadth; 42.6 ft. Depth; 24 ft. Built by Barclay, Curle at Glasgow. Owned by the General Shipping Company.[Aitken, Lilburn and Co].

                                                                          O

‘OTAGO’ Built 1869.Composite ship of 993 Tons. She was built by Duncan of Glasgow for Patrick Henderson. Later sold to the Portuguese and renamed ‘Ermilla’, she was sunk by a German submarine in the First World War.



‘OTAGO’ Iron barque of 346 Tons that was an Adelaide based and owned vessel. Master; Captain Joseph Conrad. This vessel has been placed here to avoid confusion with the above wool clipper.



‘OTAKI’ Built 1875. Iron ship of 1014 Tons. Length; 204.1 ft. Breadth; 34.2 ft. Depth; 20 ft. Built by Palmers Company of Newcastle, England for the New Zealand Shipping Company. Master; Captain J.F.Millman . Under this captain, she had a very fast run home in 1877. She left Port Chalmers on the 11th of March and after being becalmed for four days, she reached London in 69 days. She was sold to the Germans and they renamed her ‘Dr Siegert’ and she was wrecked under the German flag in 1896.

                                                                       P

‘PLEIONE’ Built 1876. Iron ship of 1092 Tons. Length; 209.7 ft. Breadth; 34.6 ft. Depth; 20.6 ft. Built by Stephen of Glasgow for Shaw-Savill. She was sold to J.E.Einersen of Norway in 1900. She sailed on until she was wrecked in 1922.


                                                                     Q

  
‘QUEEN OF NATIONS’ Built 1861. Wood ship of 872 Tons. Master; Captain Thomas Mitchell. Owned by the Aberdeen White Star Line. She was wrecked near Woolongong New South Wales on the 31st of May 1881, while on her way to Sydney. One life was lost.

                                                                    W                              

‘WAIKATO’ Built 1874. Iron ship of 1021 Tons. Length; 210.5 ft. Breadth; 34.1 ft. Depth; 19.2 ft. Built by Blumer of Sunderland and was owned by the New Zealand Shipping Company. She was sold to the Germans and was renamed ‘J.C.Fluger’ by them. The Americans bought her in 1900 and renamed her ‘Coronado’ at which time she became a hulk.


‘WAIPA’ Built 1875. Iron ship of 1017 Tons. Length; 204.1 ft. Breadth; 34.2 ft. Depth; 20 ft. Built by Palmers Company of Newcastle, England. She was sold to the Norwegians and renamed ‘Munter’. She was st5ill going during the First World War



‘WAITANGI’ Built 1874. Iron ship of 1129 Tons. Length; 222 ft. Breadth; 35.1 ft. Depth; 20.8 ft. Built by Blumer of Sunderland for the New Zealand Shipping Company. She was sold to the Norwegians and renamed ‘Agda’ and was still sailing during the First World War.



‘WAITARA’ Built 1863. Wood ship of 823 Tons. Length; 182.4 ft. Breadth; 31.4 ft. Depth; 20.9 ft. Built by Reid of Glasgow. She was sunk in a collision with the ‘Hurunui’ on the 22nd of June 1883 while sailing in the English Channel.



‘WAIROA’ Built 1875. Iron ship of 1015 Tons. Length; 204.1 ft. Breadth; 32.2 ft. Depth; 20 ft. Built by Palmers Company of Newcastle, England. Owned by the New Zealand Shipping Company. She was sold to the Russians and renamed ‘Winnipeg’ and went missing under that flag in 1907 while bound for Pensacola from Beunos Ayres. She was a sister to ‘Waipa’



‘WHITE EAGLE’ Built 1855. Wood ship of 879 Tons. Length; 203.3 ft. Breadth; 32.8 ft. Depth; 20.9 ft. Built at Glasgow. She was bought by the New Zealand Shipping Company and renamed ‘Pareora’ [in or about 1873]. She ended her days when she was broken up in 1889

GO TO NEXT POST

No comments:

Post a Comment